From English Heritage: Cast light on a dark history this Halloween! See Bram Stoker’s inspiration in a new light as Whitby Abbey is bathed in dramatic illuminations once again. This year we’ll be lighting the abbey every evening for a whole week – it’s going to be ‘spooktacular’! Have your camera at the ready as […]
Tag Archives | Whitby
In its recent members’ newsletter, English Heritage has posted a lovely short video showing the splendours of Whitby Abbey. Member or not, you can view it here:
Way back in 2012, we did an Out and About piece about shopping in Whitby, featuring, among others, the splendid yarn shop Bobbins, located in the old Wesleyan chapel in Church Street. Anyone else who is a fan of their glorious array of knitting yarns will be as sorry as we are to learn that […]
Another Halloween treat: the ruins of Whitby Abbey will be spookily illuminated nightly from Wednesday October 29 to Saturday November 1, from 6.00 to 8.30 pm. Cast light on a dark history. See Bram Stoker’s inspiration for Dracula in a new light as Whitby Abbey is illuminated with dramatic coloured floodlighting. As you explore its […]
Two good news items for drivers were announced this week. Firstly the long awaited park and ride scheme in Whitby opened today. Whitby is a favourite destination for a local day out – seaside, shopping, and fish and chips, what more could you want? – but parking is well-nigh impossible on summer weekends, so the […]
The North Yorkshire Moors Railway (NYMR) is delighted to announce that work commenced on the second platform at Whitby Station on Monday 3rd March 2014. The scheme, developed by the NYMR in partnership with Network Rail (and running under the NYMR’s project management), involves an investment of over £2m in Whitby’s railway facilities. The scheme […]
Don’t miss a chance to see Whitby Abbey aglow with coloured floodlights highlighting the magnificent ruin that inspired Bram Stoker, author of ‘Dracula’. Coinciding with the Whitby Goth weekend, visitors are invited to walk within and around the ruins after dark and sample the atmosphere. At various times throughout each evening, there will also be […]
Continuing our occasional series of less well known things to do and see this summer. “Shopping?” I hear you say, “we thought this was about a nice day out!” And so it is. Whitby is becoming increasingly touristy, and that means lots more of ye olde gift shoppes, tacky ‘souvenirs’, candy floss and ‘kiss-me-quick’ hats. […]
- keith: No it never happened, well not in daylight hours, ...
- Jim Rivis: Does anyone have any evidence that this occured or...
- Rose White: Tesco's are supposed to be selling their 'surplu...
- Lesley: If it wasn't for visitors the yearly Christmas ...
- Jean Richards: Agree entirely that littering is a problem that ne...
- Does Kirkbymoorside need a supermarket? September 14, 2011
- Controversial Kirkbymoorside housing estate to go ahead despite protests September 6, 2013
- Kirkbymoorside doesn’t need a library July 8, 2015
- Kirkbymoorside Skate Park news March 29, 2012
- Memories of Kirkbymoorside Hospital August 20, 2010
- Tourism businesses invited to gather to celebrate activities and achievements on the North York Moors Coast February 21, 2018
- Job Opportunity – Buildings and Grounds Officer, Ryedale Folk Museum February 21, 2018
- Considerable interest in Fracking debate – 8th March February 21, 2018
- Folk museum are recruiting February 19, 2018
- Leopards, Lilies, and Lineage: a talk February 19, 2018