From English Heritage: Cast light on a dark history this Halloween! See Bram Stoker’s inspiration in a new light as Whitby Abbey is bathed in dramatic illuminations once again. This year we’ll be lighting the abbey every evening for a whole week – it’s going to be ‘spooktacular’! Have your camera at the ready as […]
Tag Archives | Whitby
In its recent members’ newsletter, English Heritage has posted a lovely short video showing the splendours of Whitby Abbey. Member or not, you can view it here:
Way back in 2012, we did an Out and About piece about shopping in Whitby, featuring, among others, the splendid yarn shop Bobbins, located in the old Wesleyan chapel in Church Street. Anyone else who is a fan of their glorious array of knitting yarns will be as sorry as we are to learn that […]
Another Halloween treat: the ruins of Whitby Abbey will be spookily illuminated nightly from Wednesday October 29 to Saturday November 1, from 6.00 to 8.30 pm. Cast light on a dark history. See Bram Stoker’s inspiration for Dracula in a new light as Whitby Abbey is illuminated with dramatic coloured floodlighting. As you explore its […]
Two good news items for drivers were announced this week. Firstly the long awaited park and ride scheme in Whitby opened today. Whitby is a favourite destination for a local day out – seaside, shopping, and fish and chips, what more could you want? – but parking is well-nigh impossible on summer weekends, so the […]
The North Yorkshire Moors Railway (NYMR) is delighted to announce that work commenced on the second platform at Whitby Station on Monday 3rd March 2014. The scheme, developed by the NYMR in partnership with Network Rail (and running under the NYMR’s project management), involves an investment of over £2m in Whitby’s railway facilities. The scheme […]
Don’t miss a chance to see Whitby Abbey aglow with coloured floodlights highlighting the magnificent ruin that inspired Bram Stoker, author of ‘Dracula’. Coinciding with the Whitby Goth weekend, visitors are invited to walk within and around the ruins after dark and sample the atmosphere. At various times throughout each evening, there will also be […]
Continuing our occasional series of less well known things to do and see this summer. “Shopping?” I hear you say, “we thought this was about a nice day out!” And so it is. Whitby is becoming increasingly touristy, and that means lots more of ye olde gift shoppes, tacky ‘souvenirs’, candy floss and ‘kiss-me-quick’ hats. […]
- Erica and Nigel Carr: Thank you very much...
- Jean Richards: I fear you are too late, but you could check with ...
- Erica and Nigel Carr: Hi, we have just purchased a tree holder, is it po...
- Jean barnes: You can have a table for your crafts or brick a br...
- Keith: Hi Adrian Wright ,do you do copies for sale of you...
- Does Kirkbymoorside need a supermarket? September 14, 2011
- Controversial Kirkbymoorside housing estate to go ahead despite protests September 6, 2013
- Kirkbymoorside doesn’t need a library July 8, 2015
- Kirkbymoorside Skate Park news March 29, 2012
- Memories of Kirkbymoorside Hospital August 20, 2010
- The Man Who Invented Christmas: Exclusive Q&A with Miriam Margolyes December 13, 2017
- Ryedale School host senior citizens Christmas Party December 12, 2017
- NYMR launches major appeal following HLF award December 12, 2017
- Volunteer Job Opportunities at Citizens Advice office in Ryedale December 12, 2017
- No Dig gardening guru comes to York December 12, 2017
Kirkbymoorside on Pinterest
- Ford Focus seen driving dangerously at Christmas lights switch-on
- Major fire closes part of A64
- Anti-fracking protester sentenced for blocking Habton Road and failing to attend court
- Hospital's tribute to 'caring' young doctor Alex Boorman
- Attacker banged woman's head against floor in 'appalling assault'