2017 marks 100 years since Rievaulx Abbey was taken in to the care of the state. You can now discover the most recent century of the abbey through a showcase of never before seen imagery and artefacts. Explore the transfer of the site into guardianship, the people, the process, the change – and how this […]
Tag Archives | Rievaulx
English Heritage has been advertising widely an event at Rievaulx Abbey called Brocken Spectre – an Evening of Light and Sound. As well as advertisements in the press, there was a leaflet drop today in Kirkbymoorside, so I think most people likely to be interested will already know about this event. But nowhere does the […]
Every dog has his day at Rievaulx Terrace on September 4th.
The aim of our occasional Out and About series is to highlight lesser known places and things to visit in the local area that you might have overlooked. So, you wonder, where does Rievaulx Abbey come in when it’s well known as one of the great monastic ruins of the north? I’ve always thought that […]
Since Rievaulx’s foundation in the 12th century by a community of monks, the abbey has stood witness to key developments in English history, from medieval Cistercian life to the Dissolution of the Monasteries and the Picturesque and Romantic artistic movements. Now in the care of English Heritage, the atmospheric ruins and landscape evoke the lost […]
From Mollie Dodd, General Manager, Nunnington Hall and Rievaulx Terrace I can’t believe I only joined the National Trust in November, how it’s flown by! As always it’s a team effort and a big thank you to all our staff, volunteers and other supporters who have helped us in many varied ways this year, from […]
Continuing our occasional series of less well known things to do and see this summer. Rievaulx Abbey is one of the great romantic ruins of Britain, and on any must-see list for visitors to our area. Rievaulx Terrace is very much in its shadow (although actually above), and visited much less, but does repay a […]
- keith: No it never happened, well not in daylight hours, ...
- Jim Rivis: Does anyone have any evidence that this occured or...
- Rose White: Tesco's are supposed to be selling their 'surplu...
- Lesley: If it wasn't for visitors the yearly Christmas ...
- Jean Richards: Agree entirely that littering is a problem that ne...
- Does Kirkbymoorside need a supermarket? September 14, 2011
- Controversial Kirkbymoorside housing estate to go ahead despite protests September 6, 2013
- Kirkbymoorside doesn’t need a library July 8, 2015
- Kirkbymoorside Skate Park news March 29, 2012
- Memories of Kirkbymoorside Hospital August 20, 2010
- Tourism businesses invited to gather to celebrate activities and achievements on the North York Moors Coast February 21, 2018
- Job Opportunity – Buildings and Grounds Officer, Ryedale Folk Museum February 21, 2018
- Considerable interest in Fracking debate – 8th March February 21, 2018
- Folk museum are recruiting February 19, 2018
- Leopards, Lilies, and Lineage: a talk February 19, 2018