Northern Broadsides theatre company have two enduring trademarks: use of the actors’ own natural voice, rather than an assumed accent; and singing. Both are much in evidence in their current touring production, “Cyrano”. Starting life as “Cyrano de Bergerac”, written by Edmond Rostand in rhyming couplets in French in 1897, the story is a long […]
Tag Archives | Northern Broadsides
Northern Broadsides and the New Vic Theatre, Newcastle under Lyme, join forces in a spring touring production bringing their celebrated musical panache, acclaimed charisma and exuberant performance style to a swashbuckling tale of unrequited love set in the golden age of musketeers: “Cyrano de Bergerac“. Paris, 1640. Cyrano de Bergerac, a brilliant poet and swordsman, […]
“When We Are Married”, now touring with Northern Broadsides, might better be titled “Now We Are Not Married”. Written by J.B. Priestley, the play is set in Cleckleywyke, a town in the West Riding, in 1908. It features three couples, all highly respected pillars of their community, married on the same day in the same […]
Theatre company Northern Broadsides has announced that its autumn touring production is to be the J.B. Priestley classic “When We Are Married”. Bradford born Priestly (1894 – 1984) was a prolific author, novelist, playwright, scriptwriter, social commentator, man of letters and broadcaster, and his Yorkshire background is reflected in much of his fiction. A perfect […]
Northern Broadsides will return to the works of Shakespeare this autumn with a daringly theatrical and heartbreakingly human new staging of Shakespeare’s tale of reconciliation, love and forgiveness, The Winter’s Tale: Shakespeare with vigour, live music, song and dance. Formed in 1992 by Artistic Director Barrie Rutter, Northern Broadsides is a multi-award winning touring company […]
I saw Paul Schofield as King Lear at Stratford some time in the early 1960s, and the fact that I remember it fifty odd years later means it must have been a pretty powerful performance. Then I saw Ian McKellan in the role, at Stratford again, just a couple of years ago, and that was […]
- Rosemary Pearman: Do you have any records, concerning the polio outb...
- Lee Le Clercq: I visited this artwork at the weekend. How on ea...
- Martin Watts: I think he looks rather good in the pictures altho...
- Jean Richards: Well done Bils & Rye for this new take on art ...
- admin: I'm not sure if I can be described as the 'arty-...
- Does Kirkbymoorside need a supermarket? September 14, 2011
- Controversial Kirkbymoorside housing estate to go ahead despite protests September 6, 2013
- Kirkbymoorside doesn’t need a library July 8, 2015
- Kirkbymoorside Skate Park news March 29, 2012
- Memories of Kirkbymoorside Hospital August 20, 2010
- Volunteers wanted for haymaking July 25, 2017
- Up coming walks with Ryedale Walking Group July 25, 2017
- Guided Moorland Walk with Bridget Tempest July 25, 2017
- Two local gardens open for charity July 24, 2017
- Beadlam Tractor Run raises over £100,000 for Yorkshire Air Ambulance July 24, 2017