Parsons, Patronage and Peasantry in the later archives of Kirkdale. Archival materials belonging to the University of Oxford, owners of the Vicarage of Kirkdale since the mid-17th century, affords many glimpses of parochial life in the moorland parish of Kirkdale – never a wealthy parish. Successive vicars, poorly paid, lacking a vicarage house, obliged to […]
Tag Archives | Lecture
The Friends of St Gregory’s Minster, a delightful Saxon church in nearby Kirkdale, arrange an annual lecture to co-incide with their Friends Weekend and Annual General Meeting. The 2016 Kirkdale Lecture will be given, at St Gregory’s Minster, by Professor S A J Bradley under the title Lord Danby’s Physic Garden & the Hidden Archives […]
When Óláfr Haraldsson, King of Norway, was killed in battle on 29 July 1030, fighting against his own people, he was almost immediately hailed as a saint, and he became one of the most popular Scandinavian saints in the Middle Ages – in England as much as anywhere else. Dr John Toy, former Chancellor of […]
The 2014 Kirkdale Lecture will feature a distinguished architect talking about church architecture. The Kirkdale Lecture, the subject of which is usually of a historical nature relating to Kirkdale or the surrounding area, is held annually in May at St Gregory’s Minster. The 2014 Lecture will be given by architect Peter Gaze Pace, consultant to […]
Has Christmas turned your brain to mush? Time to do something a little more serious? The University of York offers an on-going programme of free public lectures on a wide range of subjects, designed to be accessible to the general public. Ok, it’s a bit far to travel for a talk, but combined with lunch […]
The history of Lastingham’s lovely church is the subject of the 10th annual lecture organised by the Friends of the church. The lecture will be held at 6.00 pm on Saturday October 26, and will be followed by supper in the church hall, for the inclusive price of £10.00. There are two speakers, Professor Richard […]
Ryedale Natural History Society (Ryenats) are proud to present a talk on ‘Ecology & Climate Change’ by Professor Sir John Lawton at Helmsley Arts Centre on Tuesday 16th October at 7.30pm (Free Entry). “Sir John Lawton CBE, FRS is one of the world’s leading ecological scientists. He was Chairman of the Royal Commission on Environmental […]
- Abi: This is great fun, but sadly we're at a wedding a...
- Rosemary Pearman: Do you have any records, concerning the polio outb...
- Lee Le Clercq: I visited this artwork at the weekend. How on ea...
- Martin Watts: I think he looks rather good in the pictures altho...
- Jean Richards: Well done Bils & Rye for this new take on art ...
- Does Kirkbymoorside need a supermarket? September 14, 2011
- Controversial Kirkbymoorside housing estate to go ahead despite protests September 6, 2013
- Kirkbymoorside doesn’t need a library July 8, 2015
- Kirkbymoorside Skate Park news March 29, 2012
- Memories of Kirkbymoorside Hospital August 20, 2010