Its spectacular rose window was the inspiration for York Minster, but a restoration effort 90 years ago threatened to do almost as much damage as Henry VIII…. Byland Abbey, on the southern fringe of the North York Moors National Park, one of the most spectacular yet possibly least known of Yorkshire’s ruined medieval monasteries, was […]
Tag Archives | Byland Abbey
Byland Abbey was described in the 12th century as one of the shining lights of northern monasticism. Its beginnings were unpromising – it was only after 43 years and numerous moves that the community of Byland found a permanent home – yet the abbey rose to be one of the largest of the Cistercian order […]
- keith: No it never happened, well not in daylight hours, ...
- Jim Rivis: Does anyone have any evidence that this occured or...
- Rose White: Tesco's are supposed to be selling their 'surplu...
- Lesley: If it wasn't for visitors the yearly Christmas ...
- Jean Richards: Agree entirely that littering is a problem that ne...
- Does Kirkbymoorside need a supermarket? September 14, 2011
- Controversial Kirkbymoorside housing estate to go ahead despite protests September 6, 2013
- Kirkbymoorside doesn’t need a library July 8, 2015
- Kirkbymoorside Skate Park news March 29, 2012
- Memories of Kirkbymoorside Hospital August 20, 2010
- Tourism businesses invited to gather to celebrate activities and achievements on the North York Moors Coast February 21, 2018
- Job Opportunity – Buildings and Grounds Officer, Ryedale Folk Museum February 21, 2018
- Considerable interest in Fracking debate – 8th March February 21, 2018
- Folk museum are recruiting February 19, 2018
- Leopards, Lilies, and Lineage: a talk February 19, 2018