The annual performance of Handel’s Messiah at Ampleforth Abbey is on Sunday, December 10. Lovely music in a sacred space.
Tag Archives | Ampleforth
This year’s concert by the Harrogate Festival Chorus and Orchestra at Ampleforth Abbey takes place on Thursday August 24. Details below.
Continuing our (very) occasional series of things to do and places to go. I’ve always known that Ampleforth Abbey was there of course, but assumed that it was, by its very nature, an other-worldly sort of place that did not encourage – if not actually forbid – visitors. Quite wrong! The Abbey welcomes visitors and […]
The Upper School girls choir of Ampleforth College are giving a performance on Sunday March 26. This small concert will last about an hour and admission is free of charge, with a retiring collection also taking place. The choir will be singing the following: Ceremony of Carols by Benjamin Britten along with Britten’s Missa Brevis, […]
Handel’s Messiah is seasonal, of course, so if it’s your favourite piece of music, you are in luck, because you can hear it twice in the coming weekend. Following on from the performance at York Minster on Saturday December 10, Ampleforth Abbey is hosting a concert on Sunday December 11 where the work will be […]
The annual concert at Ampleforth Abbey by the Choristers of Westminster Cathedral takes place this year on Friday October 7. Tickets are available now.
Harrogate Festival Chorus and Orchestra are giving a concert at Ampleforth Abbey on Thursday August 25. Otcenáš (Our Father) was written for four-part choir, tenor soloist, organ and harp, by Leos Janacek (1854-1928). Gioachino Rossini’s Petite messe solennelle (Little solemn mass) was written in 1863, with unusual scoring for voices, two pianos and harmonium. If […]
A concert for the Season of Advent & Christmas. Directed by William Dore Sunday 6th December 2015, 5pm All Saints Church, Hovingham. Music by Handel, Mendelssohn, Warlock & Willcocks and carols for all to sing. Entry price: £10 including refreshments (under 16yrs, free). Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 01439 766701 or email@example.com 01653 628386 or on the door
Christmas Gift Fairs are starting to arrive thick and fast. Here’s a new one, possibly the first of the season, offering not only a chance to shop but also to have a peek into Gilling Castle, which is the Ampleforth College prep school, normally closed to the public. Gilling is not a castle in name […]
The Harrogate Festival Chorus and Orchestra will give their annual concert in Ampleforth Abbey on Thursday August 27.
The annual North Yorkshire Open Studios event takes place over the coming two weekends (June 6-7 and 13-14). We’ve already showcased the work of John Creighton in Appleton-le-Moors, Jim Wright here in Kirkbymoorside, and four artists with studios on the Main Street in Gillamoor. Now here are three all in Ampleforth, where you could round […]
The long running and much loved BBC television programme, Songs of Praise, will be broadcast tomorrow, Sunday, from Ampleforth Abbey. Regular presenters David Grant and Sally Magnussion will be there, exploring the abbey surroundings and learning about Gregorian chant and the Benedictine traditions of the monastic community. The Abbey is expected to be packed for […]
Visitors will soon be able to enjoy the ancient grounds of Ampleforth Abbey when a new trail opens through the parkland next spring. The estate has long been open to the public, and has hosted retreats and pilgrims for generations. Now managers want to see more people visiting the grounds and enjoying the scenery of […]
Lovers of choral music can look forward to a rare treat later this month when the Harrogate Festival Chorus and Orchestra will present Haydn’s great oratorio, The Creation, in Ampleforth Abbey Church, on Saturday, August 25. Tickets are available in Kirkbymoorside from the Summit Coffee House and Bookshop. Read more.
Ampleforth is the location for Sunday’s National Road Race Championships – the single biggest day of road racing on the British calendar. The women’s National Road Race Championship begins the day, departing Ampleforth College for six laps of a rolling 9.5mile / 15.2km circuit. The total race distance will be 66.5 miles / 107km. This […]
From today’s Guardian: Beneath the peaceful surface of Ampleforth Abbey, in a lovely North Yorkshire valley, lies a commercial operation that is about to pull off a coup – Britain’s first monastic beer since the Reformation, more than 450 years ago. Photo courtesy of the Guardian Tawny glasses of Ampleforth Abbey brew have circulated among […]
- Erica and Nigel Carr: Thank you very much...
- Jean Richards: I fear you are too late, but you could check with ...
- Erica and Nigel Carr: Hi, we have just purchased a tree holder, is it po...
- Jean barnes: You can have a table for your crafts or brick a br...
- Keith: Hi Adrian Wright ,do you do copies for sale of you...
- Does Kirkbymoorside need a supermarket? September 14, 2011
- Controversial Kirkbymoorside housing estate to go ahead despite protests September 6, 2013
- Kirkbymoorside doesn’t need a library July 8, 2015
- Kirkbymoorside Skate Park news March 29, 2012
- Memories of Kirkbymoorside Hospital August 20, 2010
- The Man Who Invented Christmas: Exclusive Q&A with Miriam Margolyes December 13, 2017
- Ryedale School host senior citizens Christmas Party December 12, 2017
- NYMR launches major appeal following HLF award December 12, 2017
- Volunteer Job Opportunities at Citizens Advice office in Ryedale December 12, 2017
- No Dig gardening guru comes to York December 12, 2017
Kirkbymoorside on Pinterest
- Ford Focus seen driving dangerously at Christmas lights switch-on
- Major fire closes part of A64
- Anti-fracking protester sentenced for blocking Habton Road and failing to attend court
- Hospital's tribute to 'caring' young doctor Alex Boorman
- Attacker banged woman's head against floor in 'appalling assault'