Fifty years ago our founders had the vision and determination to re-open the North Yorkshire Moors Railway. Today we face a challenge of similar scale. We are extremely grateful for the support from the National Lottery. With its backing, we can plan confidently both the implementation of essential projects and our appeal for the balance of funds required. This should ensure that, fifty years hence, people will still be learning from and enjoying the experience of steam across the Moors.”
NYMR launches major appeal following HLF award
December 12, 2017
A £2.5 million appeal has been launched to secure the future of the North Yorkshire Moors Railway (NYMR) and you can now pledge your support online.
Earlier this year, the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) awarded NYMR £4.6M as part of the £9.2M Sustainability Project, NYMR’s Yorkshire’s Magnificent Journey Appeal. To deliver the investment programme, the NYMR must raise approximately £2.5M from members, passengers and the public over the next five years.
The award-winning visitor attraction steams across the North York Moors bringing delight to more than 350,000 passengers every year. Owned and operated by an independent charitable trust with no public funding, day to day operation of the railway is carried out by volunteers who work steadily to improve the quality of the infrastructure, the railway vehicles and the experience of visitors.
North York Moors Historical Railway Trust Chairman, John Bailey, said
The aim of Yorkshire’s Magnificent Journey is to boost investment in the infrastructure and the activities of the railway to help ensure that it can continue to operate successfully for the next fifty years.
Read more, and find out how to donate, here.
- Mike: Get to view planning applications at https://www.r...
- brian H: Stop Press! Ryedale District Council have gran...
- Albert: Yes but that puts all the small and medium builder...
- chris: We should not be surprised about this. In his repo...
- admin: It's not obvious at all how to do this but you ne...
- Does Kirkbymoorside need a supermarket? September 14, 2011
- Controversial Kirkbymoorside housing estate to go ahead despite protests September 6, 2013
- Kirkbymoorside doesn’t need a library July 8, 2015
- Kirkbymoorside Skate Park news March 29, 2012
- Memories of Kirkbymoorside Hospital August 20, 2010
Kirkbymoorside on Pinterest
Art Artist Books Charity Christmas Church Community Concert Crime Election Environment Group Food Football Fundraising Gladman Health Helmsley Arts Centre History Housing Library Local Business Local Businesses Manor Vale Music National Park NYMR Photos Pickering Policing Recycling Ryedale District Council Ryedale Folk Museum Ryedale Walking Group School Sport Talks Theatre Town Council Uncategorized volunteers Walks WEA Wildlife York Young People